Fashion Business: Advanced Diploma
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
The fashion industry consists of more career opportunities than just fashion design, pattern-making and garment construction. Of the approximately 125000 people working in the Australian clothing industry, approximately 21000 are involved in producing clothes.
To be successful in the fashion industry, students must develop a sense of what the consumers want, what works, what sells and how to effectively market it. The Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising teaches students the essential b usiness and marketing skills to succeed in the fashion industry.
The AIFD Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course offers students intensive training in fashion business processes including product development, fashion business management, buying, marketing, textile design, computer aided design to give students the skills to work in their chosen area of the fashion industry.
The course is taught by trainers who have had vast experience (the majority with over 20 years experience) working within the fashion industry and most of whom still currently work within the industry. This gives our students the ability to gain valuable insights from trainers with real industry experience and benefit from their experiences, knowledge and industry contacts.
Students also have the opportunity of visiting industry only events such as Australian Fashion Week and Fashion Exposed during the course of their study. Students participate in work placement during their study with us, which again offers students more valuable experience in the fashion industry.
Students who successfully compelte the Diploma in Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course, which takes 12 months to complete, may then continue on to the Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising, which takes a further 6 months to complete and is designed to give students valuable business and management skills.
What is the difference between the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course and the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising Course?
The Fashon & Textiles Merchandising course teaches students design, marketing, merchandising and business skills. Students who take the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course will learn design, sewing, patternmaking - in other words, in the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course students learn to make their own designs, whereas in the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course, students will learn how to design and then market and sell their own designs, but will not make them themselves.
Designs by Jamie Allen
"After attending two months at a university level, I soon realised I needed a more hands on, creative and practical approach to developing my skills, knowledge and understanding of different career avenues in the fashion industry. AICD has offered me invaluable industry knowledge and a real world experience.
The first six months of my course I learnt the core fundamentals and theories to the business side of the Fashion Industry including marketing, designing, production documentation, trend forecasting, buying, visual merchandising and many more. Although I am more critically business minded, I also got the opportunity to undertake basic sewing and pattern making, which I understand now is a necessary skill to have knowledge of to conduct successful fashion business transactions and decisions.
The second six months I have been able to develop my own personal identity and footprint in the industry through creative direction from teachers and developing my portfolio. Throughout my studies, I have had the opportunity to meet industry professionals, buyers and wholesalers which has helped me build contacts and networks in the industry.
I also got the opportunity to compete in a visual merchandising industry competition and through the college obtained a visual merchandising internship with Megan Park, which was invaluable. Through this internship and work experience, I was lucky enough to receive a full time job offer from Forever New as their visual merchandising and stock assistant starting next year.
My teachers were very supporting, easily approachable and knowledgeable. I have had the opportunity to meet some talented individuals, whom I hope to remain in touch with on a personal, and industry level. "
- Jade Fook, 2013 Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising Student.
Additional Study Options
Fashion Design & Fashion Business
Students have the option of completing the Diploma course along with the Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology over 2 years full time. A number of the units of competency overlap in both courses, students who wish to complete both qualifications should contact administration to discuss this option.
Fashion Business & Fashion Styling
Students who complete the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising are also able to complete the part time Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) at the same time. This option is perfect for students who are looking to get into fashion buying, merchandising, styling, PR and fashion journalism. Click here to find out more about this option.
Designs by Amy Chong
On successful completion of the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising students will have the opportunity to work in positions in the fashion industry such as:
- Fashion Business Manager
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Fashion Coordinator
- Visual Merchandiser
- Assistant Designer
- Fashion Business Owner
- Fashion Designer
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Marketing Agent
- Fashion Buyer
- Production Manager
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Public Relations
- Fashion Graphic Illustrator
- Production Assistant
- Sales Manager
- Business Owner
- Fashion Forecaster
- Importer / Exporter
- Fashion Magazine Editor
- Event Management
Students with a particular interest in a career as a fashion editor for a magazine or fashion stylist, can also undertake the Certificate III in Styling - Fashion, Image & Media in conjunction with the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising.
Topic Areas Covered
The following topic areas are covered within the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course:
- Developing a business plan
- Product Design
- Spec Drawing
- Trend Forecasting
- Production Planning
- Computer aided design
- Digital Textiles Design & Development
- Importing & Exporting
- Production Management
- Sales Management
- Visual Merchandising
- Fashion Buying
- Fashion Marketing & PR
- Fashion Forecasting
- Costing Design Production
- Fashion Event Management
- On Shore & Off Shore Production
- Fashion Show Production
- Label Development Workshopping
- Managing Global Operations
- Starting your own fashion business
Qualification & Units of Competency
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|LMTFD3004B||Draw a trade drawing for fashion design|
|LMTTD4007A||Analyse textile design influences|
|LMTFD4006B||Interact and network with fashion industry participants|
|LMTCL2003B||Identify fibres and fabrics|
|LMTTX2001B||Identify fibres, yarns and textile materials and their uses in textile production|
|LMTGN2009B||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|BSBMKG402B||Analyse consumer behaviour for specific markets|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|LMTGN4019A||Analyse TCF merchandising and marketing systems|
|LMTCL3009B||Develop patterns from a block using basic patternmaking principles|
|LMTFD4018B||Use and apply sizing systems appropriate for fashion design|
|LMTGN5001B||Participate in production planning processes|
|LMTFD4003B||Assist in preparation of preliminary design concepts|
|LMTFD4020B||Use electronic fashion design tools|
|LMTFD4012B||Develop product specifications for fashion design (P)|
|LMTFD5004B||Develop marketing plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5013B||Develop merchandising plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5008B||Conduct fashion design purchasing|
|LMTGN4018A||Apply TCF market supply systems (P)|
|LMTFD4017B||Source materials and resources for production of fashion design|
|LMTTD4006A||Source textile materials and resources|
|LMTTD5007A||Develop textile designs using computer based design programs|
|LMTFD4004B||Calculate cost estimates for fashion products|
|LMTFD4014B||Identify contemporary fashion influences and construction techniques|
|LMTTD4008A||Present and promote textile design concepts|
|LMTFD4016B||Sew design prototypes|
|LMTGN5002B||Coordinate quality assurance for TCF products and services|
|LMTFD5009B||Cost design production (P)|
|LMTGN5003B||Work with international TCF supply chains|
|BSBMKG415A||Research international markets|
|BSBMKG416A||Market goods and services internationally|
|LMTGN5008A||Identify opportunities in the TCF market (P)|
|LMTFD5010B||Develop and present concepts within specified guidelines|
|LMTFD4005B||Communicate and sell design concepts|
|LMTFD5007B||Analyse influences on contemporary fashion designs|
|BSBMKG510B||Plan e-marketing communications|
|LMTGN6001B||Develop and implement a sales or marketing plan|
|LMTGN6003B||Research and evaluate processes and products|
|LMTGN6006A||Map and establish TCF supply chain process|
|LMTGN6002B||Manage quality system and procedures|
|LMTGN6004B||Negotiate and manage contracts to produce finished design products|
|LMTTD6003A||Develop a textile product range|
|LMTFD6006B||Develop a fashion range|
|BSBDES602A||Research global design trends|
|LMTFD5006B||Evaluate fashion designs against set criteria|
(Please note: TCF is an abbreviation for Textiles, Clothing and Footwear)
Course Duration:The Advanced Diploma takes a year and a half to complete full-time (6 terms). Embedded within the Advanced Diploma course is the Diploma, which is completed within the first year of study (4 terms). The course runs for 3 days per week from 9.15am - 4.45pm (with a half hour lunch break).
Click on the arrows below to go forward or backward through each intake's term dates. Please note that term dates are subject to change, please contact us to confirm future dates if required.
Course Fees - Domestic Students Only
VET FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme which assists eligible students undertaking certain courses to pay for all or part of their tuition fees. The loan allows students to study now and pay later by deferring loan repayments until your income is above the minimum repayment threshold (in 2010-2011 this was $44,911). Once you reach the repayment threshold repayments are made to the Australian Government through the tax system.
If you are eligible for VET FEE-HELP
Students may choose to pay for all or part of their tuition fees upfront for the entire course, academic year or unit of study and/or can apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of the tuition fees. Course fees are due no later than the census date for each unit of study.
If you are not eligible for VET FEE-HELP or choose not to apply for a VET FEE-HELP assistance:
Full Course Cost (Payment Plan): $25,300.00
- Non-Refundable Enrolment Fee: $1,000.00
- Balance paid in weekly direct debit installments (with Ezypay) over course duration: $24,300.00
- Student ID Card: $25
- Printing & photocoping by student.
- Fabrics and Haberdashery for production of garments during the course
- Garment sampling costs - i.e. during the course students will source a t-shirt from a supplier and have the t-shirt made to their design.
Required Course Equipment:
A detailed equipment list is provided on course application and is also available by request.
Students will need to provide the following equipment:
- Design and Patternmaking Equipment (approx: $300)
- 2 Textbooks (approximately $250)
- Basic stationary: i.e. display folders, notepad, pens, pencil, rubber. (approx: $50)
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- Student's will reqiure a laptop/notebook computer with the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office installed- see below for details.
LAPTOP / NOTEBOOK REQUIREMENT:
Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer with a wireless network connection. The following specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 2Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer)
- Norton Anti Virus - Students will not be allowed to connect to our network without Norton Anti Virus installed.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or better with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access.*
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard CS4 or better - Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.*
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
If you need to purchase a laptop for this course AICD can organise this for you, speak to administration for more information.
Eligible students may be able to apply to Centrelink for either Youth Allowance (for full-time students aged 16 to 24) or Austudy (for full-time students aged 25 years or over). For more information visit the Centrelink website.
Domestic Students Only
Application and Enrolment Process:
- Attend an interview at the college and complete an interview test - phone (07) 55 938 335 to arrange your interview. (If you live outside the South East Qld Region and are unable to attend an interview, contact us to have the application forms posted to you).
- Fill out and return the Application Form (this can be completed at the interview).
- Student's will recieve their acceptance/non-acceptance letter and enrolment pack in the mail - including enrolment form, payment plan forms and the student handbook.
- After reading the student handbook and enrolment forms, student's who wish to enrol must submit the enrolment form with the course deposit to secure their position in the course.
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date: Monday the 2nd of March 2015: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
- Beginner Sewing Lessons8th Oct 14
- Interior Design & Decoration11th Oct 14
- Eyelash Extensions12th Oct 14
- Hair Styling18th Oct 14
- Fast Track Fashion Design18th Oct 14
- Fashion Buying18th Oct 14
- Advanced Facials24th Oct 14
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy25th Oct 14
- Certificate III in Beauty Services25th Oct 14
- Mixed Media Art25th Oct 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care25th Oct 14
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care31st Oct 14
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy31st Oct 14
- Certificate III in Beauty Services31st Oct 14
- Manicure & Pedicure29th Nov 14
- Eyelash Extensions29th Nov 14
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy29th Nov 14
- Certificate II in Nail Technology29th Nov 14
- Certificate III in Beauty Services29th Nov 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time29th Nov 14
- Beginner Sewing Intensive5th Jan 15
- Portfolio Building Workshop5th Jan 15
- Introduction to Photography Intensive5th Jan 15
- Introduction to Personal Styling5th Jan 15
- Introduction to Swimwear Design5th Jan 15
- Introduction to Fashion Illustration7th Jan 15
- Introduction to Fashion Blogging8th Jan 15
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy9th Jan 15
- Certificate III in Beauty Services9th Jan 15
- Waxing & Tinting9th Jan 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time9th Jan 15
- Make-Up for You10th Jan 15
- Studio Lighting Techniques10th Jan 15
- Introduction to Fashion Design10th Jan 15
- Hair for You11th Jan 15
- Introduction to Pattern Making12th Jan 15
- Introduction to Interior Design17th Jan 15
- Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy31st Jan 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care31st Jan 15
- Acrylic & Gel Nails7th Feb 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy23rd Feb 15
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising2nd Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology2nd Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)9th Mar 15
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Visual Arts (2d Art & Design)9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services9th Mar 15
- Diploma of Photo Imaging9th Mar 15
- Certificate IV in Photo Imaging13th Mar 15
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)13th Mar 15
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)13th Mar 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time13th Mar 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care10th Apr 15
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration10th Apr 15
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising8th May 15
- China Sourcing Trip8th May 15
- Designer Fabric SaleTuesday January 07, 2014
15th Jan – 18th Jan 2014 If you are looking for Fabrics, then come visit our Gold Coast Campus between the 15th of January 2014 and the 18th of January 2014 for some great bargains in designer fabrics. We have a great range of fabrics available, from evening wear fabrics, silks, cottons, suedes, and so […]
- Photography ExhibitionThursday November 14, 2013
AICD’s Diploma of Photo Imaging students are holding an exhibition of their work at the Kallalu Gallery in Tweed Heads on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of November. The exhibition will feature a diverse range of work from fashion, sports, landscapes, portraits and much more. The opening night event on the evening of […]
- 2013 Calico Bride WinnersMonday October 14, 2013
The noise of onlookers echoed as large garment bags were unzipped while we eagerly awaited the annual student design competition ‘Calico Brides’. We are very proud to announce that the tertiary section winner, runner up and highly commended prizes were all awarded to AICD students! The student winner for the best calico creation was awarded to […]
- Raw TalentMonday September 16, 2013
The latest RAW Artists showcase in Brisbane – ‘Translations‘ is featuring some talented up and coming designers and artists including two AICD fashion graduates to watch out for – Cynthia Coetzer and Rosa Carrington-Hogg (Infidel.the Label). RAW is a showcase of approximately 40 hand-selected artists in film, fashion, music, visual art, photography, performing arts, hair […]
- Fashion Friday @ KomuneThursday August 01, 2013
Don’t worry if you missed the Emerging Designers Showcase that was held last week in the Queen Street Mall, you have another opportunity to see the fantastic work of our graduating Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design students this Friday night! The collections from AICD’s Gold Coast and Brisbane students will be paraded over the […]
- Fashion Students to Showcase Their Designs in the Brisbane MallFriday July 19, 2013
Next Friday night, AICD’s Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology students will be showcasing some of their final collection designs in the Queen Street Mall from 6pm opposite the Myer Centre. Come along to check out their fantastic collections!
- Thank-you to our styling graduates!Friday April 19, 2013
A warm thank you to all our former styling students who replied to our Styling Graduate Survey. AICD is collating and reviewing the feedback received from students with stylists from the industry to make improvements and updates to our styling qualifications to keep the course as industry relevant as possible. Your feedback and experience post […]
- AICD is Expanding!Tuesday February 26, 2013
We are very excited to announce that we are expanding our Brisbane and Gold Coast campuses in March this year! AICD’s New Brisbane Campus: 29 Amelia St, Fortitude Valley Q 4006 The new Brisbane campus (29 Amelia St, Fortitude Valley) is just one street over from the existing campus and is almost double the size […]
- Merry ChristmasFriday December 21, 2012
Well the end of the year is now upon us! Thank-you to all of our amazing students in 2012 for making the year a success! We also would like to give special thanks to all of our administration staff who have worked very hard to try and make this year run as smoothly as possible […]
- VET FEE-HELP Loans Available for More Courses!Tuesday November 20, 2012
AICD is very excited to announce that if you are an Australian citizen you may now apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for study in any of the following courses with AICD: Diploma of Beauty Therapy Diploma of Photo Imaging Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising Advanced Diploma of […]