Fashion Business: Advanced Diploma
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
- Next Start Date: Monday the 22nd of February 2016: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
The fashion industry consists of many more career opportunities than just fashion design, pattern-making and garment construction. Numerous roles exist in the business side of the industry in areas such as fashion marketing and PR, merchandising, production management, sales, buying, trend forecasting and many more. To be successful in the fashion industry, students must develop a sense of what the consumers want, what works, what sells and how to effectively market it.
The AIFD Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course offers students intensive training in fashion business processes including product development, fashion business management, buying, marketing, textile design, computer aided design to give students the skills to work in their chosen area of the fashion industry.
Within the first semester of study, students are introduced to core industry knowledge including product development, fashion design and fashion business. This includes the knowledge of textiles and design, pattern making, sizing, trade drawings, computer aided design, core marketing strategy and fashion merchandising.
Within the second semester of study, students obtain a thorough understanding of how to research and trend forecast, develop product and fashion ranges, importing and exporting for clients, producing marketing plans for domestic and international markets, planning electronic marketing communications, managing quality systems and negotiating contracts to produce finished design products.
During the final semester of the course, students will experience the key process of designing and developing a fashion range and the logistics of how to bring these successfully to final sale, allowing them to either develop and pursue their own entrepreneurial objectives or work for their desired employer.
Students will be introduced to key and successful Queensland fashion and business creatives, have the opportunity to listen to industry guest speakers and participate in class excursions relating to their area of study.
The course is taught by trainers who have had vast experience (the majority with over 20 years experience) working within the fashion industry and most of whom still currently work within the industry. This gives our students the ability to gain valuable insights from trainers with real industry experience and benefit from their experiences, knowledge and industry contacts.
What is the difference between the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course and the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising Course?
The Fashon & Textiles Merchandising course teaches students design, marketing, merchandising and business skills. Students who take the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course will learn design, sewing, pattern making - in other words, in the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course students learn to make their own designs, whereas in the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course, students will learn how to design and then market and sell their own designs, but will not make them themselves.
Designs by Jamie Allen
"After attending two months at a university level, I soon realised I needed a more hands on, creative and practical approach to developing my skills, knowledge and understanding of different career avenues in the fashion industry. AICD has offered me invaluable industry knowledge and a real world experience.
The first six months of my course I learnt the core fundamentals and theories to the business side of the Fashion Industry including marketing, designing, production documentation, trend forecasting, buying, visual merchandising and many more. Although I am more critically business minded, I also got the opportunity to undertake basic sewing and pattern making, which I understand now is a necessary skill to have knowledge of to conduct successful fashion business transactions and decisions.
The second six months I have been able to develop my own personal identity and footprint in the industry through creative direction from teachers and developing my portfolio. Throughout my studies, I have had the opportunity to meet industry professionals, buyers and wholesalers which has helped me build contacts and networks in the industry.
I also got the opportunity to compete in a visual merchandising industry competition and through the college obtained a visual merchandising internship with Megan Park, which was invaluable. Through this internship and work experience, I was lucky enough to receive a full time job offer from Forever New as their visual merchandising and stock assistant starting next year.
My teachers were very supporting, easily approachable and knowledgeable. I have had the opportunity to meet some talented individuals, whom I hope to remain in touch with on a personal, and industry level. "
- Jade Fook, 2013 Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising Student.
Additional Study Options
Fashion Business & Fashion Styling
Students undertaking the Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising are also able to complete the part time Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) at the same time (Timetables allowing). This option is perfect for students who are looking to get into fashion buying, merchandising, styling, PR and fashion journalism. Click here to find out more about this option.
Designs by Amy Chong
On successful completion of the Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising students will have the opportunity to work in positions in the fashion industry such as:
- Fashion Business Manager
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Fashion Coordinator
- Visual Merchandiser
- Assistant Designer
- Fashion Business Owner
- Fashion Designer
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Marketing Agent
- Fashion Buyer
- Production Manager
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Public Relations
- Fashion Graphic Illustrator
- Production Assistant
- Sales Manager
- Business Owner
- Fashion Forecaster
- Importer / Exporter
- Fashion Magazine Editor
- Event Management
Students with a particular interest in a career as a fashion editor for a magazine or fashion stylist, can also undertake the Diploma of Styling - Fashion, Image & Media in conjunction with the Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising.
Topic Areas Covered
The following topic areas are covered within the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course:
- Developing a business plan
- Product Design
- Spec Drawing
- Trend Forecasting
- Production Planning
- Computer aided design
- Digital Textiles Design & Development
- Importing & Exporting
- Production Management
- Sales Management
- Visual Merchandising
- Fashion Buying
- Fashion Marketing & PR
- Fashion Forecasting
- Costing Design Production
- Fashion Event Management
- On Shore & Off Shore Production
- Fashion Show Production
- Label Development Workshopping
- Managing Global Operations
- Starting your own fashion business
Qualification & Units of Competency
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|LMTFD3004B||Draw a trade drawing for fashion design|
|LMTTD4007A||Analyse textile design influences|
|LMTFD4006B||Interact and network with fashion industry participants|
|LMTCL2003B||Identify fibres and fabrics|
|LMTTX2001B||Identify fibres, yarns and textile materials and their uses in textile production|
|LMTGN2009B||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|BSBMKG402B||Analyse consumer behaviour for specific markets|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|LMTGN4019A||Analyse TCF merchandising and marketing systems|
|LMTCL3009B||Develop patterns from a block using basic patternmaking principles|
|LMTFD4018B||Use and apply sizing systems appropriate for fashion design|
|LMTGN5001B||Participate in production planning processes|
|LMTFD4003B||Assist in preparation of preliminary design concepts|
|LMTFD4020B||Use electronic fashion design tools|
|LMTFD4012B||Develop product specifications for fashion design (P)|
|LMTFD5004B||Develop marketing plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5013B||Develop merchandising plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5008B||Conduct fashion design purchasing|
|LMTGN4018A||Apply TCF market supply systems (P)|
|LMTFD4017B||Source materials and resources for production of fashion design|
|LMTTD4006A||Source textile materials and resources|
|LMTTD5007A||Develop textile designs using computer based design programs|
|LMTFD4004B||Calculate cost estimates for fashion products|
|LMTFD4014B||Identify contemporary fashion influences and construction techniques|
|LMTTD4008A||Present and promote textile design concepts|
|LMTFD4016B||Sew design prototypes|
|LMTGN5002B||Coordinate quality assurance for TCF products and services|
|LMTFD5009B||Cost design production (P)|
|LMTGN5003B||Work with international TCF supply chains|
|BSBMKG415A||Research international markets|
|BSBMKG416A||Market goods and services internationally|
|LMTGN5008A||Identify opportunities in the TCF market (P)|
|LMTFD5010B||Develop and present concepts within specified guidelines|
|LMTFD4005B||Communicate and sell design concepts|
|LMTFD5007B||Analyse influences on contemporary fashion designs|
|BSBMKG510B||Plan e-marketing communications|
|LMTGN6001B||Develop and implement a sales or marketing plan|
|LMTGN6003B||Research and evaluate processes and products|
|LMTGN6006A||Map and establish TCF supply chain process|
|LMTGN6002B||Manage quality system and procedures|
|LMTGN6004B||Negotiate and manage contracts to produce finished design products|
|LMTTD6003A||Develop a textile product range|
|LMTFD6006B||Develop a fashion range|
|BSBDES602A||Research global design trends|
|LMTFD5006B||Evaluate fashion designs against set criteria|
(Please note: TCF is an abbreviation for Textiles, Clothing and Footwear)
Course Duration:The Advanced Diploma takes a year and a half to complete full-time (6 terms). Embedded within the Advanced Diploma course is the Diploma, which is completed within the first year of study (4 terms). The course runs for 3 days per week from 9.15am - 4.45pm (with a half hour lunch break).
Click on the arrows below to go forward or backward through each intake's term dates. Please note that term dates are subject to change, please contact us to confirm future dates if required.
Course Fees - Domestic Students Only
VET FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme which assists eligible students undertaking certain courses to pay for all or part of their tuition fees. The loan allows students to study now and pay later by deferring loan repayments until your income is above the minimum repayment threshold (in 2010-2011 this was $44,911). Once you reach the repayment threshold repayments are made to the Australian Government through the tax system.
If you are eligible for VET FEE-HELP
Students may choose to pay for all or part of their tuition fees upfront for the entire course, academic year or unit of study and/or can apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of the tuition fees. Course fees are due no later than the census date for each unit of study.
If you are not eligible for VET FEE-HELP or choose not to apply for a VET FEE-HELP assistance:
Full Course Cost (Payment Plan): $25,300.00
- Non-Refundable Enrolment Fee: $1,000.00
- Balance paid in weekly direct debit installments (with Ezypay) over course duration: $24,300.00
- Student ID Card: $25
- Printing & photocoping by student.
- Fabrics and Haberdashery for production of garments during the course
- Garment/product sampling costs - i.e. during the course students will source a t-shirt from a supplier and have the t-shirt made to their design.
Required Course Equipment:
A detailed equipment list is provided on course application and is also available by request.
Students will need to provide the following equipment:
- Design and Pattern making Equipment (approx: $300)
- 2 Textbooks (approximately $250)
- Basic stationary: i.e. display folders, notepad, pens, pencil, rubber. (approx: $50)
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- Student's will reqiure a laptop/notebook computer with the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office installed- see below for details.
LAPTOP / NOTEBOOK REQUIREMENT:
Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer with a wireless network connection. The following specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 2Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer)
- Norton Anti Virus - Students will not be allowed to connect to our network without Norton Anti Virus installed.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or better with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access.*
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard CS4 or better - Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.*
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
If you need to purchase a laptop for this course AICD can organise this for you, speak to administration for more information.
Eligible students may be able to apply to Centrelink for either Youth Allowance (for full-time students aged 16 to 24) or Austudy (for full-time students aged 25 years or over). For more information visit the Centrelink website.
Domestic Students Only
Application and Enrolment Process:
- Attend an interview at the college and complete an interview test - phone (07) 55 938 335 to arrange your interview. (If you live outside the South East Qld Region and are unable to attend an interview, contact us to have the application forms posted to you).
- Fill out and return the Application Form (this can be completed at the interview).
- Student's will recieve their acceptance/non-acceptance letter and enrolment pack in the mail - including enrolment form, payment plan forms and the student handbook.
- After reading the student handbook and enrolment forms, student's who wish to enrol must submit the enrolment form with the course deposit to secure their position in the course.
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date: Monday the 22nd of February 2016: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
- Indian Head Massage29th Jul 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time29th Jul 15
- Body Electrics30th Jul 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care31st Jul 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)3rd Aug 15
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology3rd Aug 15
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) Part Time3rd Aug 15
- Beginner / Intermediate Sewing Lessons4th Aug 15
- Fashion Business Mentoring Program4th Aug 15
- Swimwear Design8th Aug 15
- Illustrator & Photoshop for Fashion Design8th Aug 15
- Footwear Design15th Aug 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care15th Aug 15
- Interior Design & Decoration15th Aug 15
- Spray Tanning15th Aug 15
- Spray Tanning16th Aug 15
- Eyelash Extensions16th Aug 15
- Make-Up for You22nd Aug 15
- Make-Up for You23rd Aug 15
- Footwear Design4th Sep 15
- Textile Design4th Sep 15
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care4th Sep 15
- Mixed Media Art5th Sep 15
- Beginner / Intermediate Sewing Lessons14th Sep 15
- Beginner / Intermediate Sewing Lessons15th Sep 15
- Eyelash Extensions20th Sep 15
- Aromatherapy23rd Sep 15
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time23rd Sep 15
- Digital Fabric Design26th Sep 15
- Hair Styling26th Sep 15
- Abstract Painting27th Sep 15
- Textile Design3rd Oct 15
- Watercolour Techniques4th Oct 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services19th Oct 15
- China Sourcing Trip23rd Oct 15
- Contemporary Painting24th Oct 15
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services Part Time29th Jan 16
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising22nd Feb 16
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology22nd Feb 16
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services29th Feb 16
- Diploma of Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)29th Feb 16
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)4th Mar 16
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing)4th Mar 16
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology11th Mar 16
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)8th Apr 16
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)8th Apr 16
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration15th Apr 16
- Beauty Students focus on SkinWednesday June 03, 2015
Another fantastic opportunity had for our Beauty Students. The full time Diploma Beauty Students had the opportunity to visit the Dermalogica Training and Education Centre in Brisbane, and what a great opportunity this was. Dermalogica’s focus on Education is high as shown below in this extract from their website. However this is a rare opportunity […]
- Gold Coast Careers never looked so good!!Friday May 08, 2015
We were there!!! Yes Australian Institute of Creative Design made itself known at the Gold Coast Careers Expo at RACV Royal Pines Resort yesterday. The day was a great success with plenty of people wanting to find out how to become a student, and with more than 10,000 people attending the event, it was definitely […]
- A successful theft of laundry!Friday December 05, 2014
We would love to congratulate all our Graduating Diploma of Styling Students for creating an amazing parade last night in Brisbane. The event was a huge success and showcased the talents of 29 Diploma of Styling students with each student presenting in their own style a particular trend of the season. Great work!!! Check out the […]
- Take a ride on some ART!Wednesday October 08, 2014
Our Photography Students get to take all sorts of photos of products for their portfolios as well as for industry clients, however, just as the photo is the creative expression of the photographer, this time they were taking photos of something that was in itself its own form of creative expression… A wooden bicycle! Silkwood Cycles […]
- Alice takes flight.Monday September 29, 2014
Past Student of AICD Alice finished her Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology in 2009. Since leaving AICD Alice Vievers sprouted wings and is now running her handmade fashion label called Alice Nightingale. Her collections are beautiful and inspired by the silver screen and cater to all occasions. Keep an eye out for her new summer collection “Sweet to Me” […]
- The Beginnings of BegittaFriday September 26, 2014
Past Students of AICD Australian Institute of Creative Design is always proud of their past students, and we always love to hear what they are doing, and how far they have come. Begitta recently launched her new Boutique at the prestigious Marina Mirage and with her visually stunning collections the sky is the limit Adding […]
- Designer Fabric SaleTuesday January 07, 2014
15th Jan – 18th Jan 2014 If you are looking for Fabrics, then come visit our Gold Coast Campus between the 15th of January 2014 and the 18th of January 2014 for some great bargains in designer fabrics. We have a great range of fabrics available, from evening wear fabrics, silks, cottons, suedes, and so […]
- Photography ExhibitionThursday November 14, 2013
AICD’s Diploma of Photo Imaging students are holding an exhibition of their work at the Kallalu Gallery in Tweed Heads on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of November. The exhibition will feature a diverse range of work from fashion, sports, landscapes, portraits and much more. The opening night event on the evening of […]
- 2013 Calico Bride WinnersMonday October 14, 2013
The noise of onlookers echoed as large garment bags were unzipped while we eagerly awaited the annual student design competition ‘Calico Brides’. We are very proud to announce that the tertiary section winner, runner up and highly commended prizes were all awarded to AICD students! The student winner for the best calico creation was awarded to […]
- Raw TalentMonday September 16, 2013
The latest RAW Artists showcase in Brisbane – ‘Translations‘ is featuring some talented up and coming designers and artists including two AICD fashion graduates to watch out for – Cynthia Coetzer and Rosa Carrington-Hogg (Infidel.the Label). RAW is a showcase of approximately 40 hand-selected artists in film, fashion, music, visual art, photography, performing arts, hair […]