Fashion Business: Advanced Diploma
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
- Next Start Date: Monday the 24th of February 2014: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 24th of February 2014: 9:15AM - 4:45PM GOLD COAST
The fashion industry consists of more career opportunities than just fashion design, pattern-making and garment construction. Of the approximately 125000 perople working in the Australian clothing industry approximately 21000 are invovled in producing clothes.
To be successful in the fashion industry, students must develop a sense of what the consumers want, what works, what sells and how to effectively market it. The Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising teaches students the essential b usiness and marketing skills to succeed in the fashion industry.
The AIFD Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course offers students intensive training in fashion business processes including product development, fashion business management, buying, marketing, textile design, computer aided design to give students the skills to work in their chosen area of the fashion industry.
The course is taught by trainers who have had vast experience (the majority with over 20 years experience) working within the fashion industry and most of whom still currently work within the industry. This gives our students the ability to gain valuable insights from trainers with real industry experience and benefit from their experiences, knowledge and industry contacts.
Students also have the opportunity of visiting industry only events such as Australian Fashion Week and Fashion Exposed during the course of their study. Students participate in work placement during their study with us, which again offers students more valuable experience in the fashion industry.
Students who successfully compelte the Diploma in Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course, which takes 12 months to complete, may then continue on to the Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising, which takes a further 6 months to complete and is designed to give students valuable business and management skills.
What is the difference between the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course and the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising Course?
The Fashon & Textiles Merchandising course teaches students design, marketing, merchandising and business skills. Students who take the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course will learn design, sewing, patternmaking - in other words, in the Applied Fashion Design & Technology course students learn to make their own designs, whereas in the Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course, students will learn how to design and then market and sell their own designs, but will not make them themselves.
It is possible to do both courses (over two years) for those students who would like to learn how to produce their own fashion designs as well as learn the business skills for running their own fashion label.
Designs by Jamie Allen
Additional Study Options
Fashion Design & Fashion Business
Students have the option of completing the Diploma course along with the Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology over 2 years full time. As a number of the units of competency overlap in both courses, students who complete both qualifications should contact administration to discuss this option.
Fashion Business & Fashion Styling
Students who complete the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising are also able to complete the Certificate III in Styling (Fashion, Image & Media) at the same time. This option is perfect for students who are looking to get into fashion buying, merchandising, styling, PR and fashion journalism. Click here to find out more about this option.
Designs by Amy Chong
On successful completion of the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising students will have the opportunity to work in positions in the fashion industry such as:
- Fashion Business Manager
- Fashion Merchandiser
- Fashion Coordinator
- Visual Merchandiser
- Assistant Designer
- Fashion Business Owner
- Fashion Designer
- Textile Designer
- Fashion Marketing Agent
- Fashion Buyer
- Production Manager
- Fashion Stylist
- Fashion Public Relations
- Fashion Graphic Illustrator
- Production Assistant
- Sales Manager
- Business Owner
- Fashion Forecaster
- Importer / Exporter
- Fashion Magazine Editor
- Event Management
Students with a particular interest in a career as a fashion editor for a magazine or fashion stylist, can also undertake the Certificate III in Styling - Fashion, Image & Media in conjunction with the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising.
Topic Areas Covered
The following topic areas are covered within the Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising course:
- Developing a business plan
- Product Design
- Spec Drawing
- Trend Forecasting
- Production Planning
- Computer aided design
- Digital Textiles Design & Development
- Importing & Exporting
- Production Management
- Sales Management
- Visual Merchandising
- Fashion Buying
- Fashion Marketing & PR
- Fashion Forecasting
- Costing Design Production
- Fashion Event Management
- On Shore & Off Shore Production
- Fashion Show Production
- Label Development Workshopping
- Managing Global Operations
- Starting your own fashion business
Qualification & Units of Competency
LMT60507: Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
|UNIT CODE||UNIT NAME|
|LMTFD3004B||Draw a trade drawing for fashion design|
|LMTTD4007A||Analyse textile design influences|
|LMTFD4006B||Interact and network with fashion industry participants|
|LMTCL2003B||Identify fibres and fabrics|
|LMTTX2001B||Identify fibres, yarns and textile materials and their uses in textile production|
|LMTGN2009B||Operate computing technology in a TCF workplace|
|BSBMKG402B||Analyse consumer behaviour for specific markets|
|MSAENV272B||Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices|
|LMTGN4019A||Analyse TCF merchandising and marketing systems|
|LMTCL3009B||Develop patterns from a block using basic patternmaking principles|
|LMTFD4018B||Use and apply sizing systems appropriate for fashion design|
|LMTGN5001B||Participate in production planning processes|
|LMTFD4003B||Assist in preparation of preliminary design concepts|
|LMTFD4020B||Use electronic fashion design tools|
|LMTFD4012B||Develop product specifications for fashion design (P)|
|LMTFD5004B||Develop marketing plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5013B||Develop merchandising plans for fashion products|
|LMTFD5008B||Conduct fashion design purchasing|
|LMTGN4018A||Apply TCF market supply systems (P)|
|LMTFD4017B||Source materials and resources for production of fashion design|
|LMTTD4006A||Source textile materials and resources|
|LMTTD5007A||Develop textile designs using computer based design programs|
|LMTFD4004B||Calculate cost estimates for fashion products|
|LMTFD4014B||Identify contemporary fashion influences and construction techniques|
|LMTTD4008A||Present and promote textile design concepts|
|LMTFD4016B||Sew design prototypes|
|LMTGN5002B||Coordinate quality assurance for TCF products and services|
|LMTFD5009B||Cost design production (P)|
|LMTGN5003B||Work with international TCF supply chains|
|BSBMKG415A||Research international markets|
|BSBMKG416A||Market goods and services internationally|
|LMTGN5008A||Identify opportunities in the TCF market (P)|
|LMTFD5010B||Develop and present concepts within specified guidelines|
|LMTFD4005B||Communicate and sell design concepts|
|LMTFD5007B||Analyse influences on contemporary fashion designs|
|BSBMKG510B||Plan e-marketing communications|
|LMTGN6001B||Develop and implement a sales or marketing plan|
|LMTGN6003B||Research and evaluate processes and products|
|LMTGN6006A||Map and establish TCF supply chain process|
|LMTGN6002B||Manage quality system and procedures|
|LMTGN6004B||Negotiate and manage contracts to produce finished design products|
|LMTTD6003A||Develop a textile product range|
|LMTFD6006B||Develop a fashion range|
|BSBDES602A||Research global design trends|
|LMTFD5006B||Evaluate fashion designs against set criteria|
(Please note: TCF is an abbreviation for Textiles, Clothing and Footwear)
Course Duration:The Advanced Diploma takes a year and a half to complete full-time (6 terms). Embedded within the Advanced Diploma course is the Diploma, which is completed within the first year of study (4 terms). The course runs for 3 days per week from 9.15am - 4.45pm (with a half hour lunch break).
Click on the arrows below to go forward or backward through each intake's term dates. Please note that term dates are subject to change, please contact us to confirm future dates if required.
Course Fees - Domestic Students Only
Course fees include:
- class notes
- use of the school's equipment
VET FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme which assists eligible students undertaking certain courses to pay for all or part of their tuition fees. The loan allows students to study now and pay later by deferring loan repayments until your income is above the minimum repayment threshold (in 2010-2011 this was $44,911). Once you reach the repayment threshold repayments are made to the Australian Government through the tax system.
If you are eligible for VET FEE-HELP
Students may choose to pay for all or part of their tuition fees upfront for the entire course, academic year or unit of study and/or can apply for a VET FEE-HELP loan for all or part of the tuition fees. Course fees are due no later than the census date for each unit of study.
If you are not eligible for VET FEE-HELP
To secure a position in the course, student's must pay a minimum 10% deposit as a non-refundable administration fee.
AICD offers two payment options for the course - either Upfront Payment or Payment Plan:
- Upfront Payment: $25,300.00 (including the non-refundable deposit of $2,300.00 required to enrol)
- Payment Plan: Weekly or fortnightly direct debit payments debited by Ezypay Pty Ltd. Payment plans will only be accepted if set up on Ezypay's direct debit system.
- Student ID Card: $25
- Printing & photocoping by student.
- Fabrics and Haberdashery for production of garments during the course
- Garment sampling costs - i.e. during the course students will source a t-shirt from a supplier and have the t-shirt made to their design.
- Students will be required to pay for their graduation dinner for themselves and any guests. Students will be advised on the price in advance – allow maximum of $80 per person.
Required Course Equipment:
A detailed equipment list is provided on course application and is also available by request.
Students will need to provide the following equipment:
- Design and Patternmaking Equipment (approx: $300)
- 2 Textbooks (approximately $250)
- Basic stationary: i.e. display folders, notepad, pens, pencil, rubber. (approx: $50)
- USB Thumb Drive (2GB recommended minimum)
- Student's will reqiure a laptop/notebook computer with the Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office installed- see below for details.
LAPTOP / NOTEBOOK REQUIREMENT:
Students accepted into the program will be required to have a laptop computer with a wireless network connection. The following specifications are required:
- Wireless 802.11n
- Minimum 4Gb RAM
- CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
- 2Ghz or faster processor
- Web Browser (e.g. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox or Internet Explorer)
- Norton Anti Virus - Students will not be allowed to connect to our network without Norton Anti Virus installed.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (free online)
- Microsoft Office 2007 or better with Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access.*
- Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard CS4 or better - Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.*
* Please check software manufacturers minimum system requirements. Student pricing available.
If you need to purchase a laptop for this course AICD can organise this for you, speak to administration for more information.
Eligible students may be able to apply to Centrelink for either Youth Allowance (for full-time students aged 16 to 24) or Austudy (for full-time students aged 25 years or over). For more information visit the Centrelink website.
Domestic Students Only
Application and Enrolment Process:
- Attend an interview at the college and complete an interview test - phone (07) 55 938 335 to arrange your interview. (If you live outside the South East Qld Region and are unable to attend an interview, contact us to have the application forms posted to you).
- Fill out and return the Application Form (this can be completed at the interview).
- Student's will recieve their acceptance/non-acceptance letter and enrolment pack in the mail - including enrolment form, payment plan forms and the student handbook.
- After reading the student handbook and enrolment forms, student's who wish to enrol must submit the enrolment form with the course deposit to secure their position in the course.
Register Your Interest in This Course
Next Course Start Dates
- Next Start Date: Monday the 24th of February 2014: 9:15AM - 4:45PM BRISBANE
- Next Start Date: Monday the 24th of February 2014: 9:15AM - 4:45PM GOLD COAST
- Fashion Courses
- Full Time
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising
- Part Time
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)
- Fashion Design Development
- Fashion Marketing & Merchandising
- Pattern Making
- Short Courses
- Beginner Sewing Classes
- Fast Track Fashion Design Course
- Fashion Business & Merchandising Course
- Footwear Design Course
- Textile Design Course
- Fashion Buying Course
- Fashion Journalism Course
- Fashion Events Course
- Pattern-Making Course
- Swimwear Design Course
- Illustrator & Photoshop for Fashion Design Course
- Fashion Illustration Course
- Fashion Design & Pattern-making Course
- Stretch Wear Course
- Intermediate Sewing Classes
- Handbag Design Course
- Online Business Course
- Fashion Marketing Course
- Fashion Business Management Course
- Visual Merchandising Course
- T-Shirt Design Course
- Correspondence Courses
- Fashion Design & Styling
- Fashion Business & Merchandising
- Fashion Styling & Image Courses
- Upcoming Courses
- Make-Up for You25th May 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care25th May 13
- Fashion Retailing, Marketing & Merchandising30th May 13
- Manicure & Pedicure31st May 13
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time31st May 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology31st May 13
- Hair for You1st Jun 13
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services13th Jun 13
- Hair Styling15th Jun 13
- Spray Tanning15th Jun 13
- Fashion Business & Merchandising15th Jun 13
- Fashion Photography and Styling15th Jun 13
- Fashion Styling15th Jun 13
- Airbrush Makeup15th Jun 13
- Waxing & Tinting21st Jun 13
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy Part Time21st Jun 13
- Eyelash Extensions29th Jun 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails29th Jun 13
- Massage29th Jun 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology6th Jul 13
- Manicure & Pedicure6th Jul 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care13th Jul 13
- Aromatherapy13th Jul 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails19th Jul 13
- Fast Track Fashion Design27th Jul 13
- Diploma of Photo Imaging29th Jul 13
- Diploma of Photo Imaging30th Jul 13
- Beginner Sewing Lessons31st Jul 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care2nd Aug 13
- Certificate II in Nail Technology2nd Aug 13
- Manicure & Pedicure2nd Aug 13
- Anatomy & Physiology Correspondence Course2nd Aug 13
- Cosmetic Chemistry2nd Aug 13
- Nutrition2nd Aug 13
- Textile Design2nd Aug 13
- Footwear Design16th Aug 13
- Certificate II in Retail Make-Up and Skin Care24th Aug 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails24th Aug 13
- Fashion Business & Merchandising31st Aug 13
- Waxing & Tinting7th Sep 13
- Spa Treatments14th Sep 13
- Acrylic & Gel Nails20th Sep 13
- Facial Course21st Sep 13
- Waxing & Tinting27th Sep 13
- Anatomy & Physiology Correspondence Course11th Oct 13
- Hot Stone Massage18th Oct 13
- Body Electrics26th Oct 13
- Advanced Facials9th Nov 13
- Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design & Technology24th Feb 14
- Diploma of Beauty Therapy24th Feb 14
- Advanced Diploma of Fashion & Textiles Merchandising24th Feb 14
- Advanced Diploma of Interior Design3rd Mar 14
- Diploma of Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)3rd Mar 14
- Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services3rd Mar 14
- Certificate II in Applied Fashion Design & Technology7th Mar 14
- Certificate IV in Make-Up10th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Photography)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Painting and Drawing)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Design Fundamentals (Fashion Design)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Visual Arts (Textile, Print & Surface Design)14th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Styling (Fashion, Image & Media)28th Mar 14
- Certificate III in Interior Decoration2nd May 14
- Make-Up for You
- Latest News
- 19/04/13 Congratulations to Jane Rogers, winner a double movie pass for completing our styling graduate survey...
- 26/02/13 AICD is expanding! AICD Brisbane is moving into a new larger campus over the next few weeks! AICD Gold Coast's Acacia campus is also expanding too!....
- 21/12/12 AICD is now closed for the Christmas holiday break and will reopen on Wednesday the 3rd of Jan....
- 21/12/12 AICD Christmas Newsletter!
- 20/11/12 VET FEE-HELP Loans now available for Diploma of Beauty Therapy, Diploma of Photo Imaging, Diploma of Specialist Make-Up Services, Advanced Diploma of Fashion and Textiles Merchandising and more...
- 19/10/12 Congratuations to our students Kerry-Ann Andersson - winner of the 2012 Calico Brides Competition, Jaymi Spina - Highly Commended Award Winner and our 5 finalists!...
- 24/08/12 You are invited to the 'Head in the Clouds' parade event Wed 24th October...
- 08/08/12 New 'Try a Career Workshops' announced...
- 27/07/12 New visual arts and design courses for 2013!...
- 03/06/12 Congratulations to our fashion student Kerry-Ann Andersson, winner of the 'Fashion on James' design competition...
- 14/05/12 Congratulations to our styling student Candice Naughtin, winner of 'The Stylist's Apprentice' competition by Westfield Garden City...
- 23/12/11 AICD is now VET FEE-HELP Approved! This means that you can now access VET FEE-HELP assistance for studying in our Advanced Diploma of Applied Fashion Design and Technology and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses!...
- 22/12/11 Merry Christmas! The AICD office is now closed for Christmas and will reopen on the 2nd of January...
- 14/10/11 New Eyelash Extension Course!
- 12/10/11 Come along to the Hello Fashion presents AICD styling graduates parade on the 4th of Nov...
- 11/10/11 Congratulations to Liezl Boshoff winner of the Highly Commended Award at the 2011 Calico Brides Competition...
- 17/08/11 Enter our Photography competition to celebrate the announcement of new photography courses!...
- 17/08/11 AICD announces 2012 January Summer School courses...
- 12/07/11 Congratulations to Sara Hultman for winning the Avenue Designer Competition final on Sunday the 3rd of July...
- 15/06/11 Evolved Designs: AICD Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design students present their collections at Sanctuary Cove...
- 11/06/11 Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills parade a success...
- 11/05/11 AICD releases new Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy part-time course...
- 09/05/11 AICD Styling students present: 'For the Love of Fashion: Winter Chills and Fashion Thrills' parade at Light Space...
- 09/05/11 Support 6 local up and coming designers showcasing their latests collections in the Evolve Fashion Showcase at Sanctuary Cove...
- 21/03/11 Over the past week we have had some problems with our Website and Emails. If you have not received a response to an email or online course enrolment from the past week, please get in touch with us as we may not have recieved your message...
- 17/12/10 Shoe Design, Make-Up and Beginner Sewing Holiday Courses starting on Monday the 10th of January! Last minute positions available - enrol now!
- 17/12/10 The AICD team wishes everyone a very Happy New Year! We have now re-opened our office, call to book an appointment to find out about our courses for 2011!
- New Holiday Courses Scheduled to run in January!
- Congratulations to Katie Styles for winning the Billabong 'Design a Bikini' Bikini Showdown Competition!
- Come to see the Unborn Treasures Show at the Sanctuary Cove Theatre on December 14th...
- Congratulations to Masa Gracanic for winning the Halloween Costume Design Competition held by the Temple Bar!
- Congratulations to Jane Andrewartha for winning the 'Runner Up' prize in the Qld Brides Design Awards 'Calico Brides' Competition!
- Come along to the 'Students Present Fashion Friday' parade on Friday 24th Sept at Temple
- Photos from the Metamorphosis Parade!
- Come along to the 'Metamorphosis...' parade Wed 18th Aug from 6pm at Lauxes'
- Congratulations to Julian Napier for winning the 'Electic Playground Club Couture' Fashion Competition!
- Photos from some recent photoshoots!
- Congratulations to Masa for winning the 'Little Green Dress' Design Award!
- Congratulations to Sam, Hazel, Sally & Stevie for their awards in the 'Style Off' competition...
- AICD is opening in Brisbane in 2010! More information coming soon!
- AIBT is now ITEC approved, giving our beauty students the opportunity to achieve international qualifications in Beauty. More information coming soon.
- Varsity Lakes Train Station is now open!
- March 2010 Intake of Certificate III in Styling course booked out. Next course starting in April 2010 - limited positions.
- Congratulations to Kylie Landsborough for her win at the Qld Bridal Design Awards last night! Also congratulations to Aubrey Wright winning the 'Highly Commended' award, Han Ho and Stephanie Mowat for winning 'Commendation' awards!...
- New dates set for January 2010 Summer School Courses
- We are now offering Interior Design Qualifications! Check back soon for more information!
- Photos from 'SIX' fashion parade held at 19Karen on the 28th of August...
- Receive a double pass to the September Issue when you enrol in the Diploma of Fashion Design / Business or Styling...
- Student's graduation parade to be held at 19Karen Contemporary Artspace on the 28th of August...
- Photos from the parade at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Our street address is changing on the 1st of July due to the Council's road name change...
- Student's Fashion Parade to be held at Elsewhere on the 21st of June...
- Congratulations to Renee Enoka for winning the 'Designing A Fashion Career' competition...
- Congratulations to our styling student Sarah Rugg for winning the 'Style Off' competition...
- Congratulations to our students Renee and Olivia who have become finalists in the 'Designing a Fashion Career competition...